Hello Occupy Sandy Folks
Below are things coming up for this weekend beginning tomorrow Friday 11/23 through Sunday and into next week for Red Hook, Rockaways, Staten Island and Sunset Park – so please be sure to read everything!
Have a great night!
The Occupy Sandy Team
Occupy Sandy / Red Hook Coalition
499 Van Brunt Street – Red Hook, Brooklyn, New York
At the southern end of Van Brunt Street, at the waterfront.
Friday, Saturday, Sunday
Two Shifts: 10am-2pm, 1pm-6pm
Directions: Take the B61 bus from either Downtown Brooklyn at Jay St MetroTech; or from 9th St in Park Slope/Gowanus and get off at the corner of Van Brunt St & Van Dyke St. Walk 2 blocks south toward the water.
What to Bring:
- Warm Clothes
- Comfortable Shoes
- Laptop (if you want to be doing data work)
- Smartphone, if you have one
Tasks for this weekend’s projects:
- Demolition / Cleanup
- Skilled Trades (Electrical/Plumbing Work, Mold Remediation)
- Sorting / Supply Distribution
- Data Entry / Tech
– Internal Organizing” Safety Advisers will be on hand to determine the safety of entering into flood-damaged buildings. 718-306-9149 “500 Volunteers are needed for massive push for the canvassing and cleanup effort in Red Hook.
To confirm attendance volunteers should go to www.redhookvolunteers.org/confirm
Briefing at Olivet Presbyterian Church
97 Myrtle St.
Staten Island, NY 10310
Saturday 11/24/12, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Instructions and dispatch for distribution to be provided at briefing.
Volunteers will go door to door in pre-determined affected areas in Staten Island to distribute sleeping bags to homebound survivors still without heat. Volunteers will be working in pairs to distribute sleeping bags and conduct needs assessment surveys.
Project Warmth began last week and we have since distributed over 500 sleeping bags! We hope to continue this effort in the SI communities that we have not yet reached but remain without heat. This project does not involve physical labor and is safe for individuals under 18. Volunteers under 18 must have a parent/guardian present. The affected communities do still have debris in the streets, so solid comfortable shoes are recommended. Asthmatic individuals can be provided with N-95 respirator masks if they suffer any discomfort due to dust, debris, or muck-outs in progress.
Vehicles are needed! If you have access to a van, truck, or SUV and are able to volunteer for the day, please e-mail email@example.com If energy bars and water will not be sufficient for the day, volunteers should bring lunch. Comfortable shoes and warm clothes are important. No supplies are needed but large vehicles for transport of supplies and volunteers are needed and would be appreciated.
Various locations through the Rockaways need electricians, contact Jacobi to discuss. Licensed electricians needed to evaluate and repair homes intended as relief shelters. Electrician license required. We need an electrician to help get the lights back on at B25 The Bungalow. Also could have various other needs throughout the Rockaways. Electrician equipment. Please contact Kei 347.292.8117
Monday – Sunday
All Rockaways relief hubs listed on www.occupysandy.com. Meet at Jacobi and Clinton for dispatch to specific sites for specific jobs, including loading up vehicles with supplies for transport from supply centers to relief hubs. Various jobs including: loading, driving, unloading, unpacking, organizing, distributing supplies; serving food; canvassing; mold clean up; construction
Clean up and construction crews involve heavy lifting, labor, dirt, dust, mold exposure.
We need all kinds of volunteers every day in the Rockaways. Meeting up at Jacobi or Clinton, we’ll be able to route them out to the places with needs in the Rockaways.
- Water proof boots, heavy gloves.
Mold removal team and clean up teams will be supplied with gear as available, but are encouraged to bring supplies listed here:
- Work goggles
- N-95 respirator masks
- brooms, mops, rakes, shovels
- heavy duty garbage bags
- spray bottles
- bleach and other cleaning products
- brillo pads / sponges
Yana Community Center (B113)
Beach 113th St at Rockaway Beach Blvd
Shift: Monday – Sunday, 10a – 4pm
- Canvassing, supply intake/unpacking/organization, medical center organization, clean up, at least 10 volunteers every day. Volunteers may come to Jacobi to get rides, supplies…or proceed directly to Yana. Bring water proof boots, work gloves
- Clean up could be dirty and dusty, dangerous for folks with health issues
St. Gertrude’s (B38)
Beach Channel Drive at Beach 38th
Shifts: Monday – Sunday, 9:30am – 4p
- Unloading, unpacking, organizing supplies. Distributing supplies. Serving food. Canvassing. Need at least 10 per day. Water proof boots, work gloves
5406 4th Avenue
Shifts: Monday – Sunday 9a – 6p
- On-site comm coordinators to answer phones; monitor email and SMS supply requests; data entry of requests; coordinate with supply/food/car coordinators to get supplies out to relief hubs in Rockaways, Coney Island, Staten Island, other areas. We need comms folks every day of the week at Jacobi, in order to maintain multiple folks with knowledge of internal systems and to eventually train local relief center teams to run their own intake/dispatch systems. Bring your laptop!
- Car and supply floor dispatch coordinators; work with comms team to make sure incoming needs requests get supplies packed up on vehicles and out to relief hubs in the Rockaways, Coney Island, Staten Island and other areas. We need car and supply floor coordinators every day at Jacobi. Comfy shoes and a smile for the volunteer drivers and supply room organizers.