Below are a list of excellent volunteer opportunities coming up this weekend all across the city in Greenpoint, Bay Ridge, Rockaways, Staten Island and Sheepshead Bay. Please check them out and as always thank you for your continued generosity of time, talents and spirit!
Respond and Rebuild
- Location: Averne, (Rockaways), Pilgrim Church of Arverne, 7416 Beach Channel Drive
- Directions: Preferred volunteers drive in their own vehicles. There is a 15 passenger van leaving from 520 (is this only on weekends?). Need more people on Sundays than Saturdays.
- Schedule: Every Day EXCEPT Mondays, 9am – 4pm. **Volunteers cannot be accepted after 9:30 IN THE ROCKAWAYS due to restraints on staff, transportation and safety concerns.
- Number of Volunteers Requested: 50
- Tasks:Come volunteer with Respond & Rebuild! Every Saturday and Sunday for the month of January we’re sending teams out into the field to do mold remediation in residents’ homes in the Rockaways–a necessary step before families can rebuild safely. It’s tough, physical work, and we’ll provide you with all the safety gear and tools you’ll need.
- OnSite Contact(s): Andy, Shanna, Gabriel
- Website: RespondandRebuild.org. – Please Sign Up and schedule a date online.
The Action Center
- Location: http://theactioncenter.com 5710 Beach Channel Drive
- Directions: Personal Vehicle Recommended. Subway service to Rockaways from outer areas, limited. Bus service in Rockaways, in service.
- Schedule: 10 am – 4 pm daily
- Number of Volunteers Requested: Up to 20
- Tasks: Volunteers will be performing supply intake & distro activities, e.g. unloading supply trucks, unpacking boxes, organizing supply rooms, distributing supplies. Specific tasks, per day, vary. Volunteers with vehicles and room for multiple passengers, ideal. Work gloves, boots and warm winter wear, strongly suggested for all volunteers.
- On site contact: Sam and Nelson.
- Phone Number & Email Contact: Website is http://theactioncenter.com
- Locations: Rockaway Beach, 183 beach 96th street
- Directions: Driving is recommended – Cross Bay Bridge from Howard Beach to beach 94th Left on Shorefront Parkway Right on beach 96th. No regular transportation is provided for volunteers. (It is possible to accessed by public transportation via the A train and Q53 bus.)
- Schedule: 6 days/week – Closed Mondays. Volunteers can arrive from 10am-2:30pm. (Site closes at 3:30).
Number of Volunteers Requested: Ideal number of volunteers is 10, more can be taken if groups are scheduled.
- Tasks: Muck-out (clean-out) as jobs come in, serving food, helping cleaning up the site.
- On site Contact(s): Michelle
- Phone Number & Email Contact: Volunteer@smallwater.org
Bay Ridge, Brooklyn
Occupy Sandy Kitchen
- Location: St. John’s Church, 461 99th St, Bay Ridge, Brooklyn
- Directions: Take R train to 95th St. stop. Exit station and go to 99th st. Make a left on 99th street and go towards Fort Hamilton Parkway. Left side. Enter the church on the front door.
- Schedule: 7 days a week from 8am – 6pm. The last time to arrive is 5pm.
- Number of Volunteers Requested: Ideal number of volunteers is about 25 a day. If we get more volunteers, we can use them.
- Tasks: Everyday we cut meat and veggie, cook meals, clean dishes, clean ice chests, organize fridges and supplies, pack meals for delivery, and clean-up for the day.
- Onsite Contact(s): Tim, Dave, Kate
- Phone and Email Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org and by leaving a voicemail at 347-465-7430.
Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn
- Location: 3087 Emmons Avenue
- Directions: B/Q Sheepshead Bay station and walk 15 minutes.
- Schedule: 7 Days a week, Arrive between 10am and 4pm (Site closes at 5)
- Number of Volunteers Requested: 5 or more volunteers.
- Tasks: At all times volunteers are needed to Clean-out/debris removal, canvass on foot or by phone (language skills in Russian, Chinese, Korean, Arabic, Urdu very helpful!), serving food, helping residents with supplies, and delivering food to disabled or elderly.
- OnSite Contact(s): Sheryl and Alex
- Phone Number & Email contact: email@example.com, 347-549-9708
Occupy Sandy Communications and Meeting Space
- Open 10am – 6pm Monday – Saturday
- Location: 122 Java St.
- Directions: Near G stop at Greenpoint
- Hotline phone: 347-770-4520
- Email contact: OccupySandyVolunteers@gmail.com
- Tasks: Help Occupy Sandy with Communications, Volunteer Organizing, Event planning and more. Please stop by or contact us for an appointment to meet with someone about getting more involved.
World Cares Center, in collaboration with Occupy Sandy
- Location: 1128 Olympia Blvd, Staten Island, NY 10306
- Directions: Volunteer teams will be dispatched from the above address to specific work sites within the Staten Island affected areas.
- Schedule: Saturday 1/12 – Sunday 1/13 9:30a – 3:30p
- Tasks: Mucking out (gutting) homes and mediating present mold in the affected areas of Staten Island. Volunteers will be organized in teams and perform the basics of a home muck out and mold control treatment. Personal safety items and muck out equipment will be provided by Occupy Sandy and WCC, but if you are able to bring your own, please do. (Safety goggles are especially useful).
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please come prepared to participate in the entire process, which includes but may not be limited to: attending a briefing and debriefing, performing physical labor throughout the day, and exposure to mold and chemicals used to mitigate mold growth.
Wear sturdy closed toed shoes, long pants and sleeves, and layers for the cold. Bring a lunch and water with you.
This project is not safe or appropriate for anyone under the age of 18. If you have asthma or a compromised autoimmune system, you should not participate in Muck-Outs. You can be placed in other supportive roles.
All teams will be briefed on the work they are assigned and provided with necessary supplies.